The Lighthouse

the lighthouse

16 April 2021

Of things in pockets

One of the nicest things about having someone else around all the time is that I'm never stuck for something to do. Waiting our turn to go in the grocery store, extra long ad breaks on tv, or when I visit in his shop and he tells me long (ie. technical) descriptions of what he's doing... no need to fear boredom! There is always something interesting to do: go through his pockets.

He's an electronics technician, with a special interest in repairing vintage things. You know those old handheld games? Or Atari consoles? Even typewriters!  That's his jam. I was never into video games so I don't get excited about all of that, but the very cool thing is the tools and gadgets he has laying around for repairing and building. (I just love any activity that allows for a whole new collection of accessories.) Many of them are small, which makes them even more interesting. Tiny screwdrivers, small snips and cutters, wee little pliers. Then there's a thing that heats and melts plastic, another nifty tool for soldering, something else that looks like a heart monitor. 

The soldering gun is too big to carry around, of course, but I bet you'd be surprised at what he considers important enough to tuck into a pocket 'just in case' (I suspect sometimes he just forgets he put it there, and then we end up at Costco and he has a full-sized wrench in his pocket)

I have found:

Elastics, screwdriver, tiny screws, telescoping flashlight with magnetic end, two-way radio, electronic handheld games, zip ties, bulb from string lights, batteries, fork, transistor radio, manuals to old things, rosary, St. Jude prayer card, mechanical pencils, wrappers, cat lazer pointer thing, kolbasa, way expired gift cards and credit cards, pine cones

We went through airport security a couple of years ago. I was pulled aside because my hand lotion was 5 ml over the limit, and I dared to pack the tablet and keyboard in the same bag.  Meanwhile, he sails through with a full-sized laptop in his carry on, and walked through the x-ray machine with a pocket full of several lengths of wire, bits of cables, and several mini tools! Airline staff were probably reassured having someone on board who obviously would be able to rebuild the engine should it be necessary.

My own MacGyver.

No comments:

Post a Comment