The Lighthouse

the lighthouse

09 January 2009

Exits and acceptance

I really wanted to write about something lighthearted for a change. I had worked up a pretty good rant about bad driving habits in winter; a partial list of things I enjoy in this time of year (now that the Canal is open for skating); and a reflection on the relative unhelpfulness of automated telephone systems, and how we should return to real and personal customer service. All this, while I have also been working on a fairly important piece of writing.
I am, however, stuck on the topic of grieving and have a few thoughts to offer. One being that the stages of grief include the Wobblies and the Fuzzies. The Wobblies are characterized by a lack of coordination in, or cooperation from, your arms and legs. I fell down the stairs at one point, because my legs stopped working mid-stride; and I have feared washing dishes because my hands lacked their accustomed strength.
The Fuzzies follow the same principle but they affect the mind. There are memory lapses, emotional jags, a general slowing down of mental acuity. I am having a hard time focusing right now,and notice that conversations sometimes pass me by, or that I'm rereading the same paragraph over and over without understanding its point. There are certain things I must accomplish in the next few days, but this sluggish brain is limping along, one-legged and counter to my plans.
What I'm learning is the importance of being kind to yourself when grieving. Don't apply any pressure to 'get over it' in what you had supposed was a suitable amount of time. Also, when possible, really allow yourself to be sad, or empty or angry or whatever emotion is visiting at that moment. Work or children or traffic may occasionally prevent the possibility but I do think it is important to not deny the emotions every time; they serve a purpose and will bring healing.
This leads to something I'm finding particularly challenging,which is to not look for the exit sign. (I'm not talking 'permanent exit' but rather distractions or other emotional anaesthetics) I'm almost desperate to find distractions. I pounce on people when they're online, hoping someone will serve the purpose of taking me out of this moment in time to where I don't feel the aching emptiness. Or I go to the movies, thinking that Hollywood has perfected numbing its audience, surely they can help me out right now?
Unplugging or zoning out can be necessary in order to carry on from time to time, but I'd recommend keeping a close eye on how frequently you're trying to hide or shut down. Again, I believe that grief, fully experienced, will bring healing.

~*~
The picture is of a corridor in La Grande Chartreuse, Motherhouse of the Carthusians, located in the French Alps. It would be so lovely to be in a place so deeply infused with peace and silence during this time of sadness, but my life is here, in the world. I must seek God's peace and silence in the life He has given me.

No comments:

Post a Comment