The Lighthouse

the lighthouse

18 October 2013

The month of November - NaNoWriMo

Well this is awkward, isn't it? Rather like not speaking to a friend for nearly a month and then trying to pick up where you left off.

It used to be easier to write often when I lived with the Peanuts (see the 'CTKS' label) because young boys are an unending source of entertainment and amusing stories. My own life is interesting to me, but hardly has broad appeal to anyone else.

Any writing I've been doing in the last few weeks has been for a commitment I have elsewhere. I've been scurrying in spare moments to stock pile enough material to see me through a month and a half because...

gulp...

I'm going to do the NaNoWriMo challenge in November, which is, essentially, to write a novel in a month.

A novel.

Daunting, no?

No.  I've decided it ain't no big thing.  I'm not going to worry so much about plot or structure or character development, or 'show, don't tell' or anything technical or word-crafty. I'm just going to write every day. I'm going to write in my notebook with a freshly sharpened pencil. I'm going to banish the hesitation and fear that has been lurking in my brain, keeping me from tackling something of this scope, tying my imagination in knots, and holding my stories hostage.

I'm going to write for a month.  And I'm saying so right here at The Lighthouse so I can't pretend I never meant to do it.

Would you consider holding me accountable? Check in now and then, badger me, be a pest, ask impertinent questions?

Writing is such a solitary endeavor, which I quite like, but sometimes it's nice to have a companion on the journey.

Are you participating in NaNoWriMo?  If so, I'd love to hear about it.  I'm registered as evertess - let's be writing buddies!

6 comments:

  1. So there you are! I haven't heard from lately (other than the blog comment you left for me that I will post and answer soon).

    And you're doing NaNoWriMo! While I won't be doing that (I have other writing projects to complete), I would be quite happy to nag - uh, I mean encourage you along your literary journey. And if it doesn't work out, I promise not to be too critical.

    All I can say is good luck - and I hope you have a sufficient supply of coffee, tea, and suitable foodstuffs for the next month as you may not be out and about a great deal during November!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello K! Thank you, I'd be happy to have all the nagging - uh, encouragement you send my way.

    And thanks for the tip about supplies. I've been blithely assuming I'd meet my quota each morning before work...but that's rather naïve, isn't it? It would probably be wise to be well provisioned.

    Have you ever done NaNoWriMo? Good luck with the projects you've got on the go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, I've never done NaNoWriMo. My schedule is usually so crazy that I don't think I could set aside enough time to half a chance at completing the challenge. And I'm not a fast writer to begin with!

    But many people seem to get a great deal of pleasure in it, and if it works for them, I'll support them in it.

    Any idea what your story will be about?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've mentioned before that you write on your lunch breaks. Are you a plotter or a pantser? Are your stories born fully-formed or do you niggle the details as you go?
    You've got a terrific imagination - the writing prompt exercises I've read always surprise and delight.

    There are four stories marinating in my brain. The one I most want to work on is the children's story about Gamel, the little man who lives in the woods. I hope he will cooperate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you a plotter or a pantser?

    The old joke is - I always write with my pants on. It's cold in that office! But I am a pantser... Within 5 minutes of getting an idea, I pretty much have all the major points of the story in my head. Then I fill in the details to make the story flow - which can take some time! But that's how I do my short stories.

    But I have never written a full-length novel. I do have one I'm working on that may be novella length, and plotting may have helped there. Also. I have a story that could be considered a docu-drama. It's based on a real event, but I have to fill in with dialogue and action to make it a story. I'm doing some plotting there so that it remains as close to the truth as possible and still be an interesting story. It's based on a murder that took place in the 1800's (in my own family, though I can assure you I was not involved).


    Also, I have to make a correction in my previous comment. I wrote, "to half a chance" when I meant to write, "to have half a chance" at finishing a NaNoWriMo challenge. I hope I haven't made any errors in this comment or I'll be forever correcting myself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A murder in your own family? Thrilling and horrifying all at once.

    I'm looking forward to November. It too, is thrilling and horrifying all at once.

    I have impressions, see scenes of stories. I've never yet had a complete plot from start to finish before I start writing. This is going to be a fun challenge.

    ReplyDelete