The Lighthouse

the lighthouse

31 December 2018

Of corduroy hats and anniversaries

Ten years ago today I wrote here at the Lighthouse about my dad's death. The fluidity of time is such that it stretches long  and distant, then with startling unpredictability it contracts tightly into itself so that events seem near enough to touch them as though they just happened.
There are memories from within the months leading up to and immediately after that are a presence just over my shoulder. I can hear them and feel them clearly because time hasn't yet worn away the details of them. The month I spent with mom right after, for example, and the week we had the two littlest of the Peanuts with us. The months and months I slept with a candle burning on my bedside table. The sight of one of the boys climbing into the back of the hearse and hearing his pleas for Opa to come back. Unexpected conversations about him with people who'd known him. Standing in the grocery store with a can of tomato soup in my hand while other shoppers mercifully pretended it was perfectly normal for me to be crying.
The days immediately leading up to my wedding carried with them a lot of emotions about my dad, which, I think, is natural. I didn't dream of being walked down the aisle by my daddy, but I did - and still do - wish the two men had known each other. They would have got on so well, I'm sure of it. (In fact, I'm quite certain my dad had a hand in R and I being together)
Aside from wedding boohoos, it's been a while since I've been surprised to tears by stealth memories. Missing him has taken on a physical presence in my body like it's one of my organs and maybe because of that I've learned to let it do its thing while I carry on.
Which is why I was unprepared when a memory of his corduroy hat popped into my head a few days ago and had me weeping in the hallway at home. It's been ten years and I can picture it so clearly, still feel it in my hands.

2 comments:

  1. I understand completely. My father passed away on December 28, 2008. I think about him nearly every day.

    You father looks like he would be a fun and interesting fellow to know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tesssssss...I agree with you about the ability that time has in contracting eons into touchable moments as if they had just happened in recent memory. As you have experienced moments of vivid memories about your father though it has been ten years, I also experience these same memories of my father at times I recall with brimming eyes though it will now be 41 years on Feb. 8 since I lost my own father. It is at these moments that time is no longer relevant and disappears leaving us with a vivid moment that we think we may have lost along the way. God is good Tess. I will be having a Mass said for my father soon and I will include my prayers for your father also. :) Nice to see you again.

    Bobster

    ReplyDelete