The Lighthouse

the lighthouse

10 February 2009

Clasps

I'm not a very bold person, but every now and then I like to rock out an outfit and wear a necklace. Along with office supply stores, book stores and pharmacies, one of my favourite places to visit sells what amounts to cheap costume jewelry. Now before you loose all respect for me, you must understand that costume jewelry has come a long long way since Madonna's rubber bracelets and, with a discerning eye, you can find some really nice pieces.

This store is a large international chain. At least I think it's international. For sure it's pan-provincial. One thing I have discovered about it, is that quality and selection vary from outlet to outlet, so you must scope out the best one in your area. You will find treasure in some of them, whereas another location will offer nothing but flip-flops.

The glad-making thing about these stores is that their merchandise is very affordable, and even better, they seem to always have a brilliant sale where they offer "everything on this wall 3 items for $10"! Of course that means you usually bring home an item you don't really like for the sake of a good bargain, but then nephews need treasure for when they play pirates; so really, I should buy 6 items, because I surely could find 4 things I really like.

I seem to be gravitating toward necklaces these days, and I have noticed that the Victorian fashion of very long chains is now 'On Trend' (Think Cinderella's evil step mother...her necklace hung to her knees, just about.) But I'm curious about something: why do these very long necklaces have clasps? Is it a rule, that all adornment to be worn around the neck must have an escape route, in case you got stuck in a paper shredder, or garlic press?

It baffles me.

2 comments:

  1. I seem to recollect, not that I was around at the time, but that the clasp itself was an adornment and was suposed to be shown off, hanging half way down the bossom of the lady....

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think the garlic press is an interesting threat to consider. Thanks for making me aware.

    ReplyDelete