The Lighthouse

the lighthouse

25 May 2010

Signs of life

It's very exciting! There are wee little lettuces growing outside our front door! I planted those growing green things! I think it was last Saturday that we first saw signs of life, only we weren't sure if it was lettuce or little weeds. Sadly, I plucked a few out today and tossed them over the banister before I looked online to see what infant salad looks like. (Google search term: what does lettuce look like when it grows images)

On Victoria Day, I went to a large local nursery with the intention of buying more herbs and another tomato plant. I was very tempted to bring home other pretty flowers, but strictly disciplined myself to stick to the plan. I bought a little 'Sweet million' tomato, and a fully grown 'Parks whopper' plant that even has a few yellow flowers on - tomatoes are imminent! I also added a chocolate mint, a garden thyme, and three kinds of basil to our already flourishing herb containers: Thai, Italian large leaf, and Red Rubin.

Today we tackled potatoes. We had five old potatoes growing stems in the cupboard, so J drilled holes in the bottom of a deep Rubbermaid container we had laying around (as you do) and we planted them. Then, just for fun, I poked four garlic bulbs in the lettuce tub to see if they will turn into anything.

What's next?

1 comment: