The Lighthouse

the lighthouse

28 January 2011

CTKS - all about Five

Five sits at the end of the bench at the supper table, close to daddy. One night, there was a conversation going on about commands for the Lego Batman game, another about goals scored during recess hockey, and at the other end of the table next to Mama Nut, Four was making generic gun/engine noises. Amidst the chaos and confusion common to our evening meal times, Five was turned around admiring his shadow on the wall. He would stand up and say "I'm big" in a deep, growly voice (as deep and growly as a cutie patootie not-yet 3 year old voice can be). Then he'd crouch down, saying "I'm little" in a wee little voice.

While playing with random plastic dinorsaurs and other things with Mama Nut, Five had these things to say:
"I'm going to stomp some other place"
"I'm not scary. Wanna see my teeth?"
"I tripped on the giraffe" (it was a picture of a giraffe in the floor mat)

Five had been upset earlier in the day. I kept asking him if I could kiss his head (to make both him and me feel better). Very grumpy, he would always say no, with one fierce shake of his head.  A little later on, we were setting up the train set in the living room and I asked him again; Can I kiss your head now?  "Actually...." he said, "..... yes." I was going to lean over and kiss him, but he stood up, walked over to me, and tucked his head down to my level, so I could kiss the very top of him.  My heart melted to a puddle.

Five has always been a leaner. He leans into you when you're standing, or backs into you when you're sitting... and just leans. Recently, he's taken up head butting. It's an affectionate head butting. One afternoon while Mama Nut was preparing supper and the usual commotion was commoting, Five was walking back and froth from living room to kitchen, with his head down, making a constant "mmmmmmm" noise. In his mind is was probably a powerful engine sound. In the kitchen, he would bump into his mother's backside, ricochet back, turn around, head back to the living room, and then reappear again, to do it all over again.

My favourite part of the day is getting Five up from his nap. Sometimes he's very warm, sleepy, and utterly squishable. Other days he's ever so slightly cranky. On one of those days, I tried to softly coo him into a better mood, but all he said was "Bring me out of this place." meaning his room.

Much has been written about the potty training of big brother Four.  Now it is the turn of Five to learn the ways of getting treats for potty time.  Sitting in front of the patio doors on his throne, he was taking his responsibilities very seriously. Four wanted him to come and play. "No, Four" he said, sternly, "I'm sitting on the potty."


Four and Five collected their firefighters and firefighting trucks and carried them down two flights of stairs. Once in the playroom, Five discovered one had bad been forgotten in the bedroom.  "Pause the game" he told his brother, "I'll be right back."  Hearing sounds of play, he called back "Four, are you pausing?"  "Yep," Four replied, "I'm just practicing."

1 comment: