The Lighthouse

the lighthouse

20 April 2014

Open


O is for open. The tomb is open. It is empty.

Here is the fulfillment of all our hope: that this life is not the end; that death does not triumph over life; that when Jesus said, “Come and follow me, and I will give you eternal life” he meant it; that even though we look (and feel) defeated and empty, the truth is vibrant and living.

 

Here is a little openness from me: I have been a tomb.   That’s what this Lent has felt like. I have been sealed off, closed up, entombed. Going to Mass has been a struggle (one I haven’t always won, I must admit) in part because I feel so isolated, from God, from friends, even from myself. I don’t offer this insight from a desire to wallow, or as a gambit for your sympathy, but merely to reinforce that how I began this post is absolutely true, whether we feel it, believe it, accept it, or not. I went to Mass this morning feeling I couldn’t (or shouldn’t) participate in the Easter joy because I didn’t make the Lenten journey.  Listening to the readings and the homily, I didn’t hear anything I haven’t heard before. There were no new details, no startling revelations, no comforting feelings of supernatural reassurance. But I knew that no matter how hard it is to sit there sometimes, or how strong the temptation is to resist God, I belong there, with Him. So my Easter joy is more subdued than exultant this year, but it is accompanied by deep gratitude for the loving mercy of our God who keeps His promises.

3 comments:

  1. God does keep his promises! Sometimes our empty tomb does last for a while, and that is difficult. I will say a prayer for you... but remember, even when you do not feel it God is blessing you in ways you cannot imagine. Think of the psalm from the Easter vigil: "I will go to the Altar of God, to God my exceeding joy." One of my favourites!

    I hope you don't mind, but I want to share the one thing that struck me. Nothing too large... but when listening to the Gospel from Easter morning I kept thinking about the fact that St. John outran Peter, and he actually mentioned that in the gospel. Why, what was important about that? It seems out of place to be making comments about a running race in the time of the Resurrection. Yet, there are a few points... one: John was there first, but he waited for the first Pope:). Primacy of Peter. Also, it shows John's patience and thoughtfulness... he sees and thinks about things, but he waits. The tomb is empty, he rushes to see it, and is struck by its emptiness, but he waits for Peter and thinks about what that emptiness means... he looks deeper. There is so much more that I am missing I am sure, but it is interesting to ponder.

    God bless,
    Frances

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very nice to hear from you, Frances.

    Thank you for sharing your thoughts. What a beautiful reflection - I've never thought of the qualities revealed in the details of this passage. You've given me something to think about.

    Happy Easter to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah Tess...I've been where you are and not so long ago. Sometimes in a marriage one loses that initial 'falling in love' feeling but that does not mean the end of the marriage. On the contrary, it means the real love begins. The love that sticks around when things do not go right, when there are arguments, or doubts about having married the right person etc. The feeling of love may not be there but the real love still is by keeping true to our vows and promises and doing what we know is right.
    I think faith in my case relied too much on feelings rather than having knowledge in the Truth no matter what I felt because other than Truth there is nothing. When I no longer depended on how I felt in order to have faith in God and persisted in doing what I knew was right I began to feel a joy I had not had before. Thank God our faith doesn't depend on feelings Tess, otherwise where would be right now? I know where I would be and it ain't good.

    ReplyDelete