The Lighthouse

the lighthouse

18 July 2009

A tree house in the rain

I feel like I'm sitting in a tree house in the rain. Here I am, cross-legged on my bed, with the laptop in front of me, angled so my wrists are propped over the keyboard. There is a window ahead of me, and another to my right. Out of both, I can see a tree and very little else. The one out front, in particular, is just big enough, and perfectly placed so that I feel as if I were actually in the tree, rather than just enjoying it from afar.

It is raining. It seems to be a proper sort of rainy day and I'm able to settle in and embrace the subdued calm that comes from a good rainy day. Or maybe because we've actually had some really nice summery days all in a row, today doesn't strike depression or malice into my soul! Whichever, I woke up this morning and feeling quite content as I listened to the drip of the drops, and admired the altered appearance of the leaves and limbs.

Thinking back over my adult years, most of the places I have lived have featured trees, and often to the point that I could imagine I lived in a tree house. One place was on the seventh floor, but the trees were so tall, we were on level with the canopy, as if we could step off the balcony right onto their branches. It gave the apartment such a feeling of peace...it was lovely.

By summer's end, I will be in yet another new home. I don't know what the view out of my window will be, but I hope there will be a tree or two. For now, I'm going to take advantage of what I have here; I'm moving over to the chair tucked between both windows to watch the rain come down and let the peace soak into me. I hope wherever you are, you have a view that eases your heart.

1 comment:

  1. I love trees... and need them around me wherever I am. I love tree houses. I love the rain. Your images evoke those wonderful memories and yes, feelings of peace.

    ReplyDelete