The Lighthouse

the lighthouse

20 March 2013

Curtains

One of our student pages (junior library assistant) went to Europe for a 9 day school trip.  It sounds like it was a fun, though whirlwind of an experience. He thought the people were rude, however, quite miffed at how a person would step on your foot and not even apologize.(He's Canadian, poor boy.  Saying "I'm sorry" is in his blood.)

He asked me about my time there, and if I'd been to Poland and Russia.  I told him no, in my time those countries were behind the Iron Curtain.

"Iron Curtain?" he asked, confused.

Boy, did I feel old.

1 comment:

  1. You shouldn't feel old Tess for this should be taught history in school. The Iron Curtain was a result of one of the greatest evils unleashed on the world in the 20th century:Communism. How could this not be taught in school since this is recent history? Makes one think that keeping the student ignorant of such things clears the path for a resurgence disguised as a good.

    ReplyDelete