The Lighthouse

the lighthouse

20 February 2009

Magnetic

I've mentioned before that my family seems to attract drama - the ongoing saga of the water filters being entered into evidence here. Perhaps we are magnetic people, and we draw drama to ourselves. I know for sure we draw other people to ourselves - and I'm not flattering myself when I say it. I'm talking about being alone in a movie theatre for a weekend matinee, and a couple choose my row to sit in, having to squeeze past my knees to get by. And I was honest-and-for true the only person there before they arrived. Why? Why would they do that? When there are 100 rows to choose from, would you pick the one someone was already sitting in, and then proceed to crawl over them in order to sit down? Honestly!

My sister was recently in a grocery store. She operates on a tight timeline, and really needed to get back home: the get in, get it, get out kind of shopping. Doesn't she end up in a checkout with the wackiest cashier who wanted to chat about making gnocchi from scratch for her parents who were coming to visit, and the family is Italian, so the gnocchi have to be from scratch, and had my sister ever been to Mongolia?

Mom - again in a grocery store... they are dangerous places! Enter at your own risk! - was tagged by a woman who was looking for green tea, and proceeded to lay out her health history, an interesting article she read on the subject, and that last week the tea used to be here, why do they keep moving things?

Any of us in this family could be standing in line somewhere, and even be the last person standing in line, and people will want to cross the line...in front of us. Guaranteed it will happen at least once each time. Crying baby in church? In front of us, of course. The restaurant could be empty and we'd be given the table in the middle of the floor with the wait staff circling 'round.

My sister and I had the privilege of witnessing a couple agreeing to get a divorce. During a movie. I've long since forgotten what movie we went to see, but we still talk about the couple who got a divorce at the cinema.

No doubt you have experienced similar scenarios: the random guy who sits beside you in the empty food court, the whispering rosary lady who seems to be in the Chapel whenever you are there, and how the customs line you pick is always the slowest. Keeps life interesting, doesn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment