The Lighthouse

the lighthouse

26 April 2009

The benefits of cheese

I just watched a cheezie old movie. I must draw your attention to those adjectives, for it was both cheezie and old. It is, however, an old family favourite and seeing it again was completely satisfying.

The thing is, life is meant to be lived...well and truly lived. We are meant to be fully alive, not lukewarm and half asleep. So... do the things that you really enjoy doing; spend your time on the things that satisfy you. Of course there are things that must be done -- dishes and laundry, for instance. I don't particularly enjoy them, but they must be done, and so they should be done well. On the other hand, vacuuming does not need to be done...I simply live without carpet and sweep instead. The quality of my life is vastly improved by this philosophy.

One of the things I really enjoy doing is watching movies. The movies need not be highbrow and deeply meaningful, but I find all good movies, even if a little bit silly, always have something to say. For instance the movie I just saw was about a New York City cantor, a jewish son from a long line of cantors. He had a wonderful musical gift, and was expected to take his place in the family tradition of singing in Shul. However, he wanted to be a singer/songwriter, and in persuing his dream, he alienated his wife and father. Both thought it was a waste of talent to 'sing about nothing' and that he should instead use his talent in service to God. I totally agree that our talents are meant to be put to use in ways that give glory, rather than allow them to waste away, or inflict harm. However, would Jess really have given glory to God if he could only sing halfheartedly in the synagogue? He wanted to share his gift with people...the need to do so burned in him.

His story is what led to my little rantlet in paragraph two above. Find the thing that makes you fully who you are, and do that thing really well. Fortunately for me a thing I do really well is cull wisdom from inanity and share it benevolently with all who care to listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment