The Lighthouse

the lighthouse

25 April 2009

HUA

The military, while burdened with ungainly levels of bureaucracy (in triplicate)in some areas, is in other areas, succinct and efficient. One of those ways is in communication within its structure. The system is bemusing to the uninitiated: acronyms and shortforms for long names and phrases (such as the familiar AWOL for Absent Without Leave, and the not so familiar D/W for dependant wife), and cryptic codes for the normally short and sweet (such as Zulu for Zed. Instead of helping someone spell my name with 'Tea, Eee, Ess, Ess, I would say Tango, Echo, Solo, Solo...which actually is a lot of fun. I'll have to try that next time I have a chance. A dear friend and I used to quiz each other on the military alphabet -- but only when our very busy and very important jobs allowed) (But I digress).

Some of these military terms are satisfyingly perfect for the situation. You may have heard 'SNAFU'? Situation Normal All Fu...dged Up. There are times when that is precisely what has occurred: a previously under control situation has gone pear-shaped (an expression, which, frankly, I don't understand). You could go into a lengthy explanation of just how bad things are, but just saying "It was a bit of a snafu" sums it up very well.

Another expression I am fond of (it makes me giggle) is HUA. I believe it stands for "Heard. Understood. Acknowledged." As someone who relates with young children, I find this to be a useful word, and I mean to adopt it. Particularly now as Four is constantly repeating himself with the same questions...something One, Two and Three often do as well. (When's supper? Where's Opa? Can I?) With Number Four Nephew still learning speech, I don't always know what the desired response is, but he needs some feedback. Hua gives it all: I heard you, I feel your pain, you are important to me, I'm now getting on with it. The kids could be taught to give the response too, meaning: I heard you, I understand what you're asking of me, I will now clean my room without having to be asked again.

Four and Five have been delivered back home and are luxuriating in the presence of their tanned and relaxed parents, and I am giving an emphatic inner HUA. I received my mission, I knew what I had to do, and I successfully carried it out. Hua expresses my feelings perfectly: phew -- with a touch of thank the Good Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment