The Lighthouse

the lighthouse

10 May 2009

The Mom Heart

I have a good mother. I am grateful for my good mother. My mom (PW), like all mom's, learned on the job. It is interesting to me, as I observe my friends having children, and observing PW as Oma, that motherhood has a very broad job description, and a very broad allowance of how to go about being a mom. Some women are quiet and gentle; some are dynamic and voluble; some are naturally maternal and nurturing; others are more laidback or liberal. None of these types or approaches defines motherhood, but they do allow for every woman to participate in motherhood.

What I mean is that every woman, regardless her demeanor or personality traits has the capacity for mothering. Today is Mother's Day. I wish all of you Moms a very happy Mother's Day. Some of you are mothers to other people, but you've had a hand in mothering me. Realising that, has made me realise that I can offer mothering to other people as well.

The single life has a great many opportunities, possibilities and blessings not available to married women, or those with religious vocations. One of the disadvantages is its inherent amorphous nature. There is no job description, no real absolute purpose, and it's also rather open-ended. Very few of us are called to permanent, committed singleton-ness. And for women, there is another little twinge: where to expend our need to care for and nurture others in an acceptable, appropriate and satisfying way?

Each of us finds our own way to an answer for that question. I am not anyone's mom, but I am fortunate to have people to love in that distinctly 'feminine genius' way that JPII spoke about, in acknowldegement of the role of women.

Being able to do so has deepened my awareness of the cost of being a mother, of taking on the unfathomable task of forming -- moulding -- a person. I have witnessed the dying to self that motherhood requires, and recognize the unending vigilence and effort that goes into parenting. I see too, that the rewards are unsurpassable in the smiles, accomplishments, and love of your children.

In the two together, the cost and the rewards, God is present. He understands and experiences the unique sorrow of a mother, as well as the unique connection, pride, and love of a mother. For that reason, He has special blessings and consolations for moms. As surely as the grey hairs appear, worry lines develop, sleep is lost and never regained, so shall joy in your children flourish.

Happy Mother's Day

No comments:

Post a Comment