The Lighthouse

the lighthouse

06 May 2009

Of dogs, tears, and truth

It's been mentioned before: I really enjoy watching movies. I like highbrow films, reading subtitles doesn't deter me, and artsy movies can be enjoyable too. At the same time, Pretty woman is one of my favourites along with Black Hawk down, and Die hard. I draw the line however, at Natcho libre, potty-humour, and senseless gore.

Of all the movies I've seen recently, the one I'd like to inaugurate 'Movie Reviews by Tess' with is the sweet and simple story about the family of the the world's worst dog. Marley and me really took me by surprise; I was expecting pure escape and thought this would fit the bill nicely: escape wrapped in feel good fluff. Instead what it delivers is Jennifer Aniston and Owen Wilson realistically portraying a convincing young couple from the beginning of their marriage through the early years of raising their children.

John Grogan (Wilson) follows the advice of his determinedly single friend to buy his wife Jenny (Aniston) a dog to sublimate her desire for children. Enter Marley -- you guessed it -- The World's Worst Dog. This is a dog that would challenge the most devoted of canine devotees. This dog eats floors, tears down walls in a thunder storm, inconveniences innocent poodles, and shuts down the only dog beach in three counties and fails obedience school. Children do enter the picture despite the demanding dog, and so the beauty of this movie develops.

A young couple get married, drive a rust heap of a car, struggle in their early careers, have children, take on insanity packaged as a dog...and are tired. Sound familiar? This is an honest portrayal of life without being scary, despondent, depressing, or lesson-preaching. It manages to be funny and tender at the same time and is ultimately very satisfying.

Marley and me is a keeper.

No comments:

Post a Comment