The Lighthouse

the lighthouse

09 May 2009

Remember your lessons

I learned a valuable lesson today. Or rather, relearned an old lesson. I am not a city girl. And I hate shopping at the weekend!

A chocolate cake took me across town early this morning to the local Bulk Barn (such a great store...whoever came up with that idea is brilliant, and probably lots of fun, too). The trip is literally two right turns and a left, and ten minutes later, you're there! Not on Saturday mornings, though. Ugh. Just negotiating that particular strip-mall parking lot was stress inducing. I think people adopt a nine-to-five mentality: once they clock out, their brain goes on vacation as well. So, when they're out and about -- totally at large -- they are attempting to function in public places, operating heavy machinery, in a "this is your brain on weekends" state of mind. Makes errands veeerrry interesting for the rest of us, to say the least.

Shopping at Bulk Barn is always fun, but sadly they do not stock things like eggs. Chocolate cake uses eggs, so off I had to go to Blah-blah's to round out my purchases. (Along the way I bought movie tickets for an evening showing of the big sci fi prequel blockbuster opening this weekend. Another story, but I can tell you now it was a great deal of fun) Getting back across town this time took nearly three times as long, and there were traffic jams at every intersection. It's becoming ridiculous! This is not a large city that I live in, however, it's getting to the point that my new philosophy of life must include "I shall not leave the house and attempt to go anywhere by car between the hours of 8am Saturday - 9pm Sunday, or enter a store of any sort during those same hours". Doing so, you see, proves that I am not essentially a forbearing, kind, tolerant or mild sort of person. Which also proves that you really ought to remember your lessons, or you will be forced to learn them all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment