The Lighthouse

the lighthouse

19 June 2011

A sad life

Woe to me.

Oh, I know there is real strife in the world. Right at this moment, one friend is suffering pregnancy complaints while working full time and raising a family. Another is chronically sleep deprived with an infant and four other children along with several health issues.  Still another is coping with a life turned upside down, and my own sister is struggling to get her health on track.  Further afield, others are dealing with wild fires, flooding, tornadoes, drought, famine, earthquakes.  Every statistic you read in the paper is a human story, a personal drama.

Now that I've established my empathy cred, listen to my tale of sorrow:

I can't seem to get the music mix right for in my car.  If I select Radiohead and Depeche Mode for the CD wallet, guaranteed what I will want is Alanis and Kelly Clarkson or Scorpions and Finger Eleven.  I try to prepare for this by loading the wallet with a little bit of everything, but what usually happens is one of the discs will appeal more than the others, and the whole six hours to Ottawa will be spent listening to talk radio because I just can't listen to The Tragically Hip one more time.  I was just talking to a friend about doing a road trip from sea to shining sea across Canada, and my mind breaks down and whimpers at the thought of the music selection you would need to fuel such an endeavor.

I understand that the fancy new cars allow you to load all your MP3s directly on the on-board computer, but in my world MPs are military police and have nothing to do with music whatsoever.  In those fancy new cars you probably only have to think of a song for it to be broadcast in surround sound. That would be dandy, except I'd be listening to Copacabana every 20 minutes.

So you see, while my life may not be tragic, it is very, very sad.

1 comment:

  1. Mr. S helpfully suggested that a little Garth or Carrie would solve my musical issues. Clearly country music is the answer.
    In all fairness, W - everything I know about country begins with you. May the thunder forever roll.

    Thank you, Miss Bellum, for understanding I wasn't seriously equating drive-time music to starvation in the Sudan or testicular cancer.

    ReplyDelete